Monday, June 13, 2011

The Room is Spinning (and you're not drunk)

In my 10 years living in Dallas, I have never been in the revolving restaurant in Reunion Tower. It's a Dallas landmark, and many of those that eat there are probably tourists. So, I decided to call on the boyfriend to take part in my quintessential Dallas experience. First of all, many of my friends reviewed the new Reunion Tower restaurant, Five Sixty, as over-priced with mediocre food. Fair enough, I didn't necessarily need to eat there, I wanted to see the view and maybe enjoy a drink. The restaurant gets its name from its height, 560 feet in the air. The seating area of the restaurant revolves, giving diners stunning views of Oak Cliff, Downtown, Uptown and everything in between. We had a few of the signature cocktails and an appetizer. If you regularly read my blog, you know that I love people-watching. If you do too, this is an excellent spot. Behind us was a couple with a man who was totally preppy in loafers and polo, and a woman with black hair with white streaks, giant fake jewelry and sky high platforms. Another couple seemed to be on an early date in their relationship, the girl in a tiny black dress and the guy in a suit (both overdressed for the restaurant). Yes, the cocktails were expensive, and we just sat at the bar, but the views were priceless, and helped me remember all of my good memories in various parts of the city.

I have actually been to Reunion Tower once before, but not in the revolving restaurant. My college best friend and I went there with dates for a fraternity formal. They rented out the private rooms, just below the restaurant. The views from inside were okay, but there, you can actually go outside and enjoy the night air with your cocktail and the view. It was, like my recent date night, one of those unforgettable Dallas moments.

Five Sixty
Reunion Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment